For this weeks make I thought I’d share the recipe for my simple fish pie which is quick and easy for children to help make. My girls love to help out in the kitchen and Miss E who will be 3 next month really loves to drag over the kitchen stool and stir saucepans on the hob (with my supervision of course). Cooking with the children helps build their self esteem as well as it being a bonding experience.
Lazy tuna fish pie
Feeds 4 people
Ingredients: 2 tins of tuna, a tin of sweetcorn, a packet of white sauce, milk, potatoes, salt and pepper.
1. Peel and cut the potatoes, put into a saucepan of water and heat until the potatoes are soft. Pour out the water and mash, adding a little milk, salt and pepper to flavour.
2. Make up the white sauce according to the packet instructions.
3. Heat up the sweetcorn in a saucepan for a couple of minutes and then add to the white sauce.
4. Drain the 2 tins of tuna and then add the fish to the white sauce/sweetcorn mix and heat through.
5. In an oven proof dish pour in the fish/sweetcorn/sauce mix to cover the base. Spoon the mashed potato on top, smooth over and then run a fork over the top to add texture(this becomes the really tasty crispy bits when its heated under the grill).
6. Put the dish under a hot grill so that the potato browns.
Here’s Miss E running a fork over the mashed potato.
The finished fish pie – yummy!